In a previous post titled “My Surrealist Object,” I discussed writing a program that would transform a user’s line drawing into a printable 3D object file. For my 3D Sensing and Visualization final, I decided to update the program to use Kinect data to create the 3D object. The user would wave a hand to draw.
It was more difficult to control the drawing aspect of the program because the Kinect often tracks before I am ready or continues tracking after I think I have sufficiently hidden my hand. After many tries, I finally generated an object that seemed printable. It was quite ugly.
Unfortunately, the Makerbot refused to print this object. This is probably because there were overlapping vertices. I tried fixing it with Rhino and other software, but to no avail. It was a nice experiment though.